Hollywood-Backstage
Looting Continues in Earthquake Aftermath  

Looting Continues in Earthquake Aftermath

Tsunami Warning

read more
1 2 3 4 5 6
Hollywood Backstage Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

CONCEPCION, Chile (Hollywood Backstage) - Authorities in Chile's second largest city have extended a curfew in an effort to curb looting following Saturday's deadly earthquake.

The government of Chile has sent 10,000 troops to enforce the curfew and protect homes and businesses. The curfew has been extended to 8PM Monday until noon on Tuesday.

Looters were gutting store fronts and setting buildings on fire. They are breakinig into buildings, breaking into garages in clear view of military guards. Troops brought in water cannons to disperse the looters. Several stores and businesses had been looted, ransacked and burned. Residents are desperate for much needed supplies. One man was seen being arrested with what appeared to be a bag of diapers in hand.

The military is taking all groceries to a distribution point, where it will be handed out free to those in need.loo6

Concepcion was the closest major city to the massive 8.8 earthquake, which killed over 720 people. The death toll is expected to rise over the next few days.

The international community is promising support for the beleagered country. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will visit Santiago briefly Tuesday, bringing emergency communications equipment.

The United Nations has decided that Chile needs mobile bridges, field hospitals, dialysis equipment and other medical supplies, as well as food and shelter.

President Michelle Bachelet said here government is working to deliber food, water and emergency shelters as quickly as possible to thousands of people living on the streets.

President Bachelet said, the earthquake emergency is "unparalleled in the history of Chile." The quake that struck Saturday is among the sixth strongest ever measured.

Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama said an emergency medical mission has been sent to Chile. He promised up to $3 million in an emergency grant for recovery efforts.

China's state news agency says authorities in Beijing are offering $1 million in humanitarian assistance.